Paul answers a good question:
Hi Marina (and all),
You ask about Galatians 5:14:
“For all the Law is fulfilled in one word, even in this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself’” (Galatians 5:14 MKJV).
“Does it mean that if the second command is fulfilled, the first one is automatically fulfilled too? And vice-versa?”
We would say that the Second Commandment is fulfilled because the First Commandment has been fulfilled. After all, doesn’t everything hinge on loving God with all our hearts and having no other gods before Him?
Mark 12:28-31 MKJV
(28) And coming up one of the scribes heard them reasoning, knowing that He had answered them well, he asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?”
(29) And Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is, ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord;
(30) and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.
(31) And the second is like this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
You can see in Galatians that Paul is speaking to fellow believers. In the verse previous to the one you asked about, he says:
“For, brothers, you were called to liberty. Only do not use the liberty for an opening to the flesh, but by love serve one another” (Galatians 5:13 MKJV).
In another place he says to them:
“This only I would learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law, or by hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, do you now perfect yourself in the flesh?” (Galatians 3:2-3 MKJV)
Now we know that those who love (obey) God (by His grace) receive His Spirit. So Paul is exhorting his brothers to walk in the Spirit, serving one another in the love of God.
Romans 8:12-14 MKJV
(12) Therefore, brothers, we are not debtors to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.
(13) For if you live according to the flesh, you shall die. But if you through the Spirit mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live.
(14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
We need to be diligent to follow through on what God has given us, and He will take us all the way.
1 John 4:7-11 MKJV
(7) Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God, and everyone who loves has been born of God, and knows God.
(8) The one who does not love has not known God. For God is love.
(9) In this the love of God was revealed in us, because God sent His only begotten Son into the world that we might live through Him.
(10) In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation concerning our sins.
(11) Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
God teaches us how to love Him and one another by faith, but in the realm of the new creation in Christ, not in the flesh. The flesh can’t love God and the new creature in Christ can’t but love God. Our job is to trust Him by doing our part, whatever He gives each of us for today.
If you worship God, you’ll obey His Commandments. If you obey His Commandments, you’ll find yourself loving your neighbor as yourself. And love has nothing to do with emotion. It is a matter of desire, motive, and will.
– September 7, 2014
Everyone That Asks, Will Receive
Subject: ‘Guess Who Appreciates Satan’
To: The Path of Truth
Date: 11/24/2015 1:42 PM
I came across your website not by accident, chance or choice but by determination of seeking out an opinion that aligns closely to how I too view God's word.
Although I've read many of your teachings, there is one so far that has stood out amongst them the title is "Guess who appreciates Satan" I have been seeing this for years but haven't been able to piece it together so I could show those that have eyes could also see it. So a big thank you for doing it.
It also states in scripture (Gen 1:26) that God made man in the image and OUR likeness and this task wasn't completed until AFTER they ate the fruit, God confirms this in Gen 3:22 to which many followers miss.
Gen 3:24 also shows us that there were others also in the garden as well and along with Gen 3:1 we can now piece together to whom God was referring to when he was talking about making man in the image and likeness of US.
Anyway, this is a fantastic website for all to enjoy and learn.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart,
David from Brisbane, Australia.
From: Paul Cohen
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2015 4:42 PM
Cc: Victor Hafichuk
Subject: "Guess Who Appreciates Satan"
Thank you, David, for letting us know you’re out there receiving some of the good things the Lord has given us at The Path of Truth. Bless His Name!
Continue exploring what is available on our site – the...
We Need More than the Law to Have God
To: The Path of Truth
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:42 PM
Subject: In order to have the gift of the Spirit one has to have the Holy Spirit.
..In order to have the Holy Spirit you have to have a love for God's Ten Commandments. John14:16 I find with most churches there two commandments that have been replaced. The 1st commandment and the fourth commandment. 1st commandment , we shouldn't make a man-made god, we have (the guy on portraits around the world we teach he is Jesus). Fourth commandment remember the Sabbath to keep it holy,the seventh day. It was instituted before sin came in the world. Genesis 2:2. When Jesus redeemed us He rested on theSabbath and rose on the first day It is a sovereign law. James2:10.
A sister that love God's truth
From: Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2016 7:12 AM
Subject: Re: In order to have the gift of the Spirit one has to have the Holy Spirit.
We partially agree with you, with certain qualifications of details. Perhaps you know that already because you’ve been reading our site?
We need more than obedience to the Ten Commandments. We also need to love and obey the Lord by keeping His Personal Commandments to us. That’s the only way we can be truly saved. Read:
The Cross - Only the Death Sentence Will Avail
The Baptism in the Holy Spirit
Paul and Victor
To: Paul Cohen
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2016 9:...
Are the Laws of God Outdated?
Here we answer a series of questions some scallywags conceived, intending to destroy the validity of the Law of God. By ridiculing the notion of modern-day use of certain laws cited in the Book of Leviticus, the authors try to prove that the Word of God against homosexuality is outdated and silly. Sinners, fools, and liars would like to believe these things, and may have opportunity to do so, to their destruction, but God always has the last Word.