My husband wants to remain married regardless of our differences

Regardless of licenses, ceremonies, and approval of men, if God didn’t put man and woman together, in His sight the union is a lawless one, and the couple lives in fornication. If so, then they ought to part, discontinuing their sin rather than continuing in it. Read more
Kristin

My husband wants to remain married regardless of our differences

Post by Kristin »

Hi Paul,

I just read your testimony! I was wondering if God hardened the heart of your ex wife. I have done some research with divorce and I know that Corinthians 7:15 says "...but if the unbeliever leaves, let him go. The believing brother or sister is not bound in such cases. God has called you to live in peace." I was thinking that if God did harden her heart and left you, then this would be grounds for divorce. I wanted contact you to see if you were willing to share this detail of your story, if she ended up leaving you or you left her to avoid compromising yourself.

My husband "believes" in God and Jesus, but does not live a life like he truly believes. In my eyes, I do not consider him a "believer" because he has not laid down his life for Jesus. There have been times I have felt disconnected from God because I felt he has made me compromise at times. I am not happy with compromising at all. We are separated because I do not know what to do and I do not want to compromise on living a Godly life.

Similar to your story, I do feel that I have made a mistake with marrying him. My husband wants to remain married regardless of our differences. God has showed MUCH grace after calling out to him in regards to this issue, but I am stuck on the do's and dont's of what the bible says. I feel that if my husband wants to stay married I should remain married because of 1 Corinthians 7:15.

I look forward to your response!

Thank you for your time!

Kristin

Paul Cohen

Re: My husband wants to remain married regardless of our differences

Post by Paul Cohen »

Hi Kristin,

In answer to your question - no, God didn't harden the heart of my ex-wife because she never believed in the first place. I was in fornication marrying her and that was why I needed to leave her. In other words, I was in sin; we weren't married in the eyes of God.

My partner wanted to stay with me, but truly we both weren't happy if we couldn't be ourselves and pursue what God had for each of us. This was amply proven as we tried to keep things together for a short while.

So I initiated and followed through on the separation, by God's grace.

Is your husband truly your husband, or did you do what I did - enter into and remain in fornication while trying to make it “kosher” by marrying? You need to know the answer to this question.

The answer to your situation certainly isn't trying to make your husband a Christian (I'm speaking of the true kind - not manmade). That's not your call. If this man is your husband, you need to submit to him in the Lord, except not doing the things you know God directly forbids and doing whatever else God requires of you.

Are you truly a convert to Christ by the power of faith in Him, Kristin, or are you a proselyte of men? I had been given the gift of supernatural faith in Christ, which if one receives and walks in it, will separate him or her from the world without the person having to try to make it happen, except when one goes astray as I did. Then obedience is necessary to remedy the situation.

Are you reading the teachings and materials on our site, which will direct you into the life-giving ways of the Lord by faith? Are you hearing Him here?

Paul

Return to “All Marriages Are of God”