Married to the Wrong Partner

Regardless of licenses, ceremonies, and approval of men, if God didn’t put man and woman together, in His sight the union is a lawless one, and the couple lives in fornication. If so, then they ought to part, discontinuing their sin rather than continuing in it. Read more
Despan

Married to the Wrong Partner

Post by Despan »

(This is an archived correspondence at The Path of Truth. We have sent notification to the correspondent.)

Hi,

I read your piece on DD: All Marriages are of God and totally agree with you because I am passing through the same thing and have dissolved my five year marriage to my wife because i believe she is not a child of God, even though I gave her many reasons. But I have been asking if indeed there are marriages that are not joined by God because my church denomination and almost everyone I know believe ALL marriages are joined by God. I have actually been asking the Lord and doing my research. the Lord has shown me things that seem to suggest not all Marriages are actually from him, but i have not found anyone with something concrete. I believe he led me to your wonderful piece as part of his answer to my questions.

God Bless you.

Despan

Despan

Re: Married to the Wrong Partner

Post by Despan »

Dear Paul Cohen,

I read your story about you and your wife and can only praise God for your obedience. I believe I am in a similar situation, married to an unbelieving wife, even though in my case she was a catholic before I married her. I have given her a letter dissolving the marriage because we have never agreed on any issue and my spiritual life is dead. I have come to believe something was wrong with the foundation of the marriage, but no one here seems to see reasons with me that the marriage may not have been okayed by God. What everyone tells me is I cannot divorce her. Do you seriously advise I put her away? I seem to think your story is the Lord's answer to my questions on whether or not there are marriages that God has not joined.

I would very much be glad to be advised.

Despan

Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk

Re: Married to the Wrong Partner

Post by Paul Cohen and Victor Hafichuk »

Hi Despan, Paul Cohen here.

The first step to being helped is telling us more about yourself and your situation.

How and when did you become a believer? Was it before you married or after? How and when did you get married? What's happened since? Do you have children? Provide us with some details.

You say your wife was a Catholic before you married her. Where is she at now? Is she at peace with your profession of faith? If not, what is bothering her about you and how is she showing it? Give us specifics.

Does your wife believe she is born of God? Are you saying you've given her many reasons to believe God and she doesn't believe Him, or that you've given her many reasons why she isn't born of God and she doesn't believe you?

How can you tell if one is born of God - what criteria are you using? How do you know you've been born of Him?

Please answer every question directly.

One thing we know, Despan, and you will know this, too, if you believe and obey the Lord Jesus Christ: He is over all, working all things for good. Our part is to believe Him and to do whatever is required of us according to His will, not ours. Otherwise, we're part of the problem and not part of the Solution, which He is:

“Jesus said to him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father but by Me” (John 14:6 MKJV).

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Paul & Victor

Return to “All Marriages Are of God”