The Sabbath - How are you keeping it?

You can view our complete section on the Sabbath here.
Paul Cohen

Re: The Sabbath - How are you keeping it?

Post by Paul Cohen »

I've appreciated what everyone so far has had to say about the Sabbath. As Beryl said, it's like getting to meet you, sharing in each other's lives.

I know the Sabbath is a gift from God, because we tried taking a day of rest Sundays and it was nothing at all like the Sabbath. When the Lord gave us the Sabbath, the rest was just there. There was nothing to try to do or manufacture. Internally, it was like entering a beautiful tranquil resort with good company.

As we went along we were faced with situations where we had to work out the details of keeping the Sabbath, as some of you express in your descriptions of the day. The Sabbath isn't about having a list of prohibited activities, but of keeping the peace with God in the spirit of rest as He leads us. You can trust Him to teach you and show you the way. He IS the Way.

I think it's clear to you all that we haven't "laid the Law down" on you regarding the Sabbath. The Sabbath is about liberation, not enslavement. There are issues in each person's life that come before being able to receive the gift of the Sabbath. Only the Lord can reveal and deal with these matters in their time. In the meanwhile, we keep the Sabbath and teach you the right way, by the grace of God.

For example, perhaps we can help you, Jon Kail. I hope you don't mind us discussing the matter here. You wrote to everyone this past Sabbath:

"I hope all had a good day and meeting.

"I was up really early this morning looking at changes on a project for work. I was asked to come in to verify and make sure the changes were right and had to take pictures.

"I then had to find a new pump for one of the machines I work with and that turned into a wild goose chase. Couldn't locate one, it was frustrating. Looks like things will be squared away Monday, LW.

"I'm feeling pretty run down so trying to get rest."

We haven't pressed you about not attending to such business on Saturdays. Perhaps it was necessary this time, but you did end up on a "wild goose chase." Have you told your clients that you keep the Sabbath? Sometimes that's all it takes for people to self-filter their requests and work around the Sabbath rather than expecting you to work for them on those days.

I also let people know I'm available on Sunday and evenings, if it's about business. That helps everyone. They know you're available and willing, and in turn can honor the boundaries you've set for them. Part of the issue of the Sabbath is about our public identification with the Lord. Not in self-righteousness, God forbid, but in His righteousness, acknowledging His gift and honoring Him by our actions.

You do need to get your rest, Jon, and the Lord has given the Sabbath for that purpose. We want to see you blessed. Let us know what's happening in order for us to help you further.

Paul

Victor Hafichuk

Post by Victor Hafichuk »

Paul wisely brings up an important factor in our keeping the Sabbath. We need to let others know we keep it. Is it fair to our employers, supervisors, neighbors, business associates, families and others we have dealings with regularly or otherwise if we don't let them know we keep the Sabbath?

And another point Paul brings forth is found in Scripture...that our keeping the Sabbath is a sign:

Exodus 31:12-17 LITV
(12) And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
(13) And you speak to the sons of Israel, saying, Keeping you shall keep My Sabbaths; for it is a sign between Me and you for your generation; to know that I am the LORD your sanctifier.
(14) And you shall keep the Sabbath, for it is holy for you; the profaners of it dying shall die; for everyone doing work in it, that soul shall be cut off from the midst of his people.
(15) Work may be done six days, and on the seventh day is a sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD; everyone doing work on the Sabbath day dying shall die.
(16) And the sons of Israel shall observe the Sabbath, to do the Sabbath for their generations; it is a never ending covenant.
(17) It is a sign forever between Me and the sons of Israel; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.

But now I have questions for you all: Is the physical weekly Sabbath meant for us to be kept? Many would say it was only for the Jews and its requirement was discontinued with the coming of Yeshua the Messiah. Do not some words in the passage posted here seem to give support for their objection? For examples:

"...it is a sign between Me and you for YOUR GENERATION,"

"And the sons of Israel shall observe the Sabbath, to do the Sabbath for their generations"

"It is a sign forever between Me and the sons of Israel."

What do you have to say?

Diana Laumbach

Post by Diana Laumbach »

Hi Everyone,

I was in the kitchen doing dishes today and thinking about the Sabbath and each day and about what my attitude should be. Like just quietly thinking to the Lord and then this verse came to mind.

"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men." (1 Colossians 3:23)

Then I went online and read some more from Colossians from these verses.

22" Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons." (Colossians 3:22-25)

After reading and thinking on these things it seemed to me I have a clear and better focus about the Sabbath and each day with the Lord. I was thinking while reading the verses isn't this a part of keeping the Sabbath Holy and each day but more so the Sabbath. I am really refreshed and encouraged by what the Lord brought to my mind today. A good reminder to me of whom I serve and to serve the Lord wholeheartedly! I maybe wrong about this going with the Sabbath but I thought I would share and learn to use the forum better. The Lord's will be done! Thank you Father!

Diana

Beryl Knipe

Post by Beryl Knipe »

Hi all I find all this info very needful. Each time (without fail) when I tell anyone I keep the 7th Day Sabbath, these are the questions I get from them:
1. Are you Jewish?
2. Since when did you convert to Judaism?
3. Are you an SDA?
4. Saturday is the Jewish day; why do you keep it?
5. But all the churches have Sunday worsnip.....etc etc.

When I explain why eg. all the info I have and supplying the TPOT link and explaining that Sunday is a pagan day etc etc - I simply get a strange look from people and don't hear another word from them.

In this very fast, technoworld where no one has time to listen (let alone read anything) it would be helpful to have a phrase or a one-sentence explanation for inquisitive people or people who genuinely want to know. My thinking/reply would be (as I'm thinking this morn), "We are to worship the Lord in Spirit and in Truth" (supply scripture) and God doesn't live in temples made by human hands (supply scripture) then send Sabbath links?

These were the thoughts that came to me this morn. My main computer is dow (again) and I believe we have load-shedding today from 10am to 10pm.

Beryl

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

I understand what you say, Beryl...Before I came to TPOT, I used to make a lot of spiritual talks to people, try helping them with their issues, trying to convert them, to show them and tell them how changed I am and how the Lord is working in my life etc.

But now, I listen and obey the Lord, so when He gives me to say something to a specific person, then I do...I "don't give dogs what is sacred." I focus on my own life, acts and words and not on others. I let know by my attitude and acts to my husband and my kids that I am dedicated to my Father and that before all He is my top priority, and that I obey Him, but at the same time, I fail and may fail and I appologize and try not to repeat by His grace!

On the other hand, it is much more difficult to talk to those who think are His, who call themselves believers and that have a new life (this concerns my mother and my sisters), because I know I don't have His Spirit, but I know they don't have either and I feel that I don't have His authority to judge them, although when given I tell in short terms the general ideas...

Beryl Knipe

Post by Beryl Knipe »

Hi Marina

Thanks very much for your response. All in HIS HANDS!
Beryl.

William Woeger

Post by William Woeger »

The question: Is the physical Sabbath meant for us to keep - people who weren't apart of Israel during that generation as pointed out in Exodus 31?

That leads me to other questions: If we don't physically keep the seventh day as a day of rest, then is there a specific day we keep? If no specific day, then could it be any day, randomly, changing week by week, with more than one day of rest? Why was it part of the Ten Commandments if it wasn't for everyone, all generations, to keep?

Is there another Scripture that lets us know that physically keeping the Sabbath wasn't just for Israel during that time? If not in Scripture, then the Lord has to lead us.

What we do physically affects us spiritually, and where we are at spiritually, manifests itself in the physical. The unseen and seen reality, both necessary for eachother.

I don't know if we are to keep the seventh day, or any day, though we should be holy all days.

Paul Cohen

Post by Paul Cohen »

How about the following Scriptures, William? Do they not answer your question? Everyone, think about what the Lord is saying.

Ephesians 2:10-22 MKJV
(10) For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.
(11) Therefore remember that you, the nations, in time past were in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
(12) and that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world.
(13) But now in Christ Jesus you who were once afar off are made near by the blood of Christ.
(14) For He is our peace, He making us both one, and He has broken down the middle wall of partition between us,
(15) having abolished in His flesh the enmity (the Law of commandments contained in ordinances) so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, making peace between them;
(16) and so that He might reconcile both to God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity in Himself.
(17) And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off, and to those who were near.
(18) For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
(19) Now therefore you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God,
(20) and are built upon the foundation
of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone....

And:

"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision has any strength, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them and upon the Israel of God" (Galatians 6:15-16 MKJV).

"For what the Law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His Own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh; so that the righteousness of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit" (Romans 8:3-4 MKJV).

"Or is He the God of the Jews only, and not also of the nations? Yes, of the nations also, since it is one God who will justify circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. Do we then make the Law void through faith? Let it not be! But we establish the Law" (Romans 3:29-31 MKJV)

There are not two Laws. There is one Law, just as there is one Lord, one faith, and one Sabbath for all.

Paul

Victor Hafichuk

Marina, neither had the apostles received the Spirit before Pentecost but the Spirit was with them and they were able to receive understanding from the Father and Son, heal the sick, cast out devils, even raise the dead. They were provided for beyond the laws of this world with all their needs.

In addressing your question about what authority you have to say anything to others when you have yet to receive the Spirit, we all have truth we can share at whatever level we are as believers, even as unbelievers, for that matter. Share what you have if you feel free to do so.

Paul Cohen

Post by Paul Cohen »

Yes to all Victor says here, and I would add, Marina, that you have "talked" to your mother and sisters by your faith, whether spoken or unspoken. Faith is from God, so all we do by faith testifies of Him.

Jeff Wilschut

Post by Jeff Wilschut »

1Jn 2:1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
1Jn 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
1Jn 2:3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,
1Jn 2:5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him:
1Jn 2:6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
1Jn 2:7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard.
1Jn 2:8 At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.

In the verses in 1Jn 2:1-7 it is made clear that the law is not to be abolished “ Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,”. What I have gathered reading these verses, is that by practicing His law it brings us to purification, it also proves us as His faithful servant.

The new covenant is the law within, His Holy Spirit, the old covenant is the law we practice that purifies the believer, and by faith it can be accomplished. God can not reside in a person who is unclean, but once purified He enters in to establish His rest.

I have also this thought about teachings that the covenant law is abolished because of Jesus Christ's death on the cross which wipes all sins away if we believe, that by grace we are saved. There is truth within the sayings, but it is perverted in order to eliminate the practice of His law which are His servants, as it is written faith without works is dead, yet it is not the work that saves us it is only a process that purifies us. So how does this saved by grace teaching make any sense out of the teachings of scripture in both the old testament, the new testament as well as Jesus Christ Himself, it just does not line up, and thus it is false teaching.

Isa 66:22 "For as the new heavens and the new earth that I make shall remain before me, says the LORD, so shall your offspring and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 From new moon to new moon, and from Sabbath to Sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before me, declares the LORD.

Rom 3:27 Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith.
Rom 3:28 For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.
Rom 3:29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,
Rom 3:30 since God is one--who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith.
Rom 3:31 Do we then overthrow the law by this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the law.

Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
Mat 5:18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

William Woeger

Post by William Woeger »

Yes, Paul. Amen. Thank you.

God's Law is not subject to individuals and time, but it applies to all, for all time.

Jon H Kail

Post by Jon H Kail »

It's good you bring this up, Paul. Thank you. The question of "How am I keeping the Sabbath" was on my mind all day this past Sabbath (Saturday). No I have not shared with any clients or work affiliates about keeping the Sabbath on Saturday and any preferences pertaining to it. I really haven't thought of it, which says something right there.

I think I'm run down from a very challenging month and probably doing too much. I talked with you before Paul, sometimes I have a problem with overdoing things or going above and beyond or doing too much when it's not really my job to. I have a tough time drawing the line between doing things or not doing things. This past Sabbath, when asked to come in, I thought I would because the manager wasn't going to be at the store Sunday and Monday. We've already had a set back with the machine (smell) so I thought it'd be good to go to be on top of things. I thought the manager has committed to me on this project and it would be good to make sure the adjustments with the machine were right. I tried to put myself in his shoes and thought I'd want the same if I bought an expensive peice of machinery off of someone.

I do make myself available at basically anytime of the week, as well so I probably could have just told him the deal. Yes, the way things turned out was not good. I got a few things done but it turned out to be a very long day with minimal success. I definitely was questioning if it was the right thing to do that day. When looking at it I don't think it was. I've asked the Lord how He wants me to keep the Sabbth in His will by faith. Not in letter, form or obsession, etc.. I definitely need to evaluate things before the Lord on this matter and all others. I know I have to be more straight forward with people and not shy away from talking about what I believe or the truth. I know I really don't expect people to fulfill things or come into work on their "day off" or "days off".

So I believe the Lord is showing me something here and of course confirmed by your mention, Paul.
It's mid week tomorrow and I'm still run down and still set back with the project and machine but we'll see what the Lord is doing and where He's going with this.

P.S. Good to get on the forum finally, my first post :) Long overdue. Excellent to read what eveyone has been saying here. --Jon K.

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

Victor Hafichuk wrote:Marina, neither had the apostles received the Spirit before Pentecost but the Spirit was with them and they were able to receive understanding from the Father and Son, heal the sick, cast out devils, even raise the dead. They were provided for beyond the laws of this world with all their needs.

In addressing your question about what authority you have to say anything to others when you have yet to receive the Spirit, we all have truth we can share at whatever level we are as believers, even as unbelievers, for that matter. Share what you have if you feel free to do so.
Paul Cohen wrote:Yes to all Victor says here, and I would add, Marina, that you have "talked" to your mother and sisters by your faith, whether spoken or unspoken. Faith is from God, so all we do by faith testifies of Him.
Victor, I didn't realize that the apostles were doing these things withought having the Spirit! It is a very necessary remark for me.
Paul, indeed, I have His faith as a gift and I must work it! Amen!

Darrell Kane

Post by Darrell Kane »

There is much mess in my life that the Lord has to clean up because of my unbelief. I will admit I don't think the Sabbath has been given to me yet. I still coach basketball on the weekend. There are times when I can't wait to get to the Sabbath meeting. There are also times when I want to go coach. I also have a job I can't wait to leave, in the Lord's timing of course. Our busiest time in on the weekend. I pray that will soon change.Entering in the Lord's rest is a privilege. I am seeking to enter in to His rest. The Sabbath was given before the Law of Moses. The same principle applies to it as is tithing. (Heb 7:9) And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

(Heb 7:10) For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.
We where yet in the Loins of all the Patriots when this command was established.

Ronnie Tanner
Forum Admin

Post by Ronnie Tanner »

The Sabbath day gift is an entirely new reality for me. The understanding I had for so many years was like many others, that the Lord "fulfilled" the Sabbath commandment much like the fulfillment of the ceremonial parts of the law. If I "had a relationship with Jesus" then I was automatically keeping the Sabbath, whether it was Monday or Saturday. I really just paid no attention to that commandment, along with others like eating clean meats. Entirely blind.

When this commandment first came alive to me I was very distressed. I stopped doing the normal activities of working around the house, going to stores, traveling etc. The law became my tutor, and in many ways still is. I was (and still am at times) afraid to "pick up sticks" (Numbers 15:32-36) and simultaneously concerned about becoming legalistic. I'd say turmoil characterized my experience for many months, primarily due to a combination of not understanding what I should or should not be doing and the resistance that came from my wife. Also, the fact of having children added to the "hows" and "whats" during the day. I didn't know what was good and right in terms of caring for them and what was simply letting them dictate the course of the day. Questions that would arise:

Should I take my children somewhere they ask that requires buying something that could be bought another day?
What about a walk? A bike ride?
What about a trip to the park?
What was "doing my pleasure" (Isaiah 58:13) versus doing what was right yet possibly pleasurable at the same time?

In essence, everything has been brought into question. I've been in much darkness and suffered no shortage of torment following my wife and children in false love and the process of truly looking to the Lord for direction was and is only by His grace. I'm resolved that we can only do with what we know to do and trust the Lord for more understanding when He sees fit to give it. That was my initial experience in observing and attempting to align my life with the Sabbath.

Currently on the Sabbath I normally come home Friday after work and will usually just hang out and tend to what is needed with the children. Lately two of our children have had basketball games in the morning and I attend those. Afterwards, I will spend time with whatever children are at home and once the meeting starts I'll typically be up and down a bit with our youngest child before and after his nap. If he is extra busy I'll come to the meetings late. My wife and other children are normally away or coming and going throughout the meeting. Sometimes I choose to go to my office if the environment at the house is not conducive to paying attention.
Victor Hafichuk wrote: But now I have questions for you all: Is the physical weekly Sabbath meant for us to be kept?
The thought I had was the 6 days of servile work surely have not ended physically so why wouldn't we still need a 7th physical day of rest? We certainly do.

Victor Hafichuk

Ronnie says, "The thought I had was the 6 days of servile work surely have not ended physically so why wouldn't we still need a 7th physical day of rest? We certainly do."

Don't these things make perfect sense, even to little children? Isn't it amazing how perverted our minds become, believing lies when raised in, and taught, them repeatedly? How foolish the wise and prudent, the theologians become! Is it not a wonder the cleansing we so desperately need from defilement of falsehood and evil? How prone we are to believing blatant lies and denying simple truth!

Sara V Schmidt

Post by Sara V Schmidt »

Diana, you said in the meeting:

Diana says:
I was concerned at first because I wasn't sure if I am doing the Sabbath right.

Have you red this:

http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings ... abbath.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or this?:

http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings ... abbath.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These may help others of you as well. And more about the Sabbath is available in our Sabbath section:

http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Diana Laumbach

Post by Diana Laumbach »

Thank you! When Victor asked us questions about Sabbath I became aware I wasn't aware of all the Sabbath means. So I have been reading here and there when I can about the Sabbath on TPOT site. I am still reading about the Sabbath and I am finding what is shared helpful as well.

Diana

Sean R Fife

Post by Sean R Fife »

By way of some background, keeping the Sabbath started in an interesting way for me. I was living with my dad at the time, in Stouffville, Ontario. He's a professing believer and is quite religious. I had contact with Victor and Paul so I knew that they were keeping the Sabbath, but I had been attending church on Sunday's with my dad, uncomfortably, mind you. I just didn't fit in.

One day as I was thinking about these things the doorbell rang and a young girl handed me a little booklet. On the front was a picture of the two tablets Moses brought down off Mount Sinai and a heading: "Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it Holy." I red through the booklet, a Seventh Day Adventist publication, and was struck by the reason and insight given. The timing, too, was remarkable. If I remember correctly, I started observing the Sabbath from that point on.

Shortly after this time, my father was having some renovations done on the house and I specifically asked him if he would refrain from having the contractor come on the Sabbath, but contrary to my request, he showed up on Saturday. When I brought up the matter with my dad, he said, "Sunday is MY Sabbath." I knew from that point on I needed to separate myself from my dad and it wasn't long before the Lord brought me back to Harvest Haven.

More in another post on how I'm currently keeping the Sabbath...

Emmanuel Okpanachi

Post by Emmanuel Okpanachi »

The Sabbath is new to me. One thing I don't understand is why there are certain Old Testament laws which are to be kept (such as the Sabbath and abstaining from unclean meats) and others which seemingly aren't to be kept (such as wearing different kinds of clothing material and shaving one's head).

My current understanding of the Sabbath is that it's a day of cessation (from physical works - not spiritual), reflection, peace and thanksgiving.

I'm coming to understand that the physical is just as important as the spiritual; thus the physical keeping of the sabbath is not to be seen as pharisaical. I think the physical keeping is a reflection, or manifestation, of that which is spiritual.

I think the next item on my reading list will be the Sabbath-themed writings on this site; to give me a much better understanding of what it is all about. For at this point, I'm rather ignorant.

Sabine

Post by Sabine »

Hi everyone,

Sorry to reply to an old post, not sure if this is okay.
I'm new on TPOT AND new with the scriptures, so forgive me for asking about the sabbath.
First of all I knew from the beginning of my journey with the Lord that the sabbath was not on sunday. Recently, I've been feeling led to start keeping the sabbath. He has been disciplining me immensely the past 8 months, I landed a new job (which He gave me) but there is way too much work all day every day with employers that keep pushing the limits, so I started working like a mad man and I nearly burned out. I I keep relying on my own mind/power. Every day I come to work with Him and within an hour work has so absorbed me to such an extent that I have lost Him completely for the rest of my working hours. So I'm pretty much answering myself here in that I need the sabbath :D
My question is a different one though.

Since joining the forum and reading some posts on the subject, what Paul said strikes such a truth cord:

"I know the Sabbath is a gift from God, because we tried taking a day of rest Sundays and it was nothing at all like the Sabbath. When the Lord gave us the Sabbath, the rest was just there. There was nothing to try to do or manufacture. Internally, it was like entering a beautiful tranquil resort with good company" and " The Sabbath is about liberation, not enslavement."
And thank you Paul to point out "There are issues in each person's life that come before being able to receive the gift of the Sabbath. Only the Lord can reveal and deal with these matters in their time. "

I hope someone can help me understand the connection between acts 15:24,28-29 and matthew 5:17-20.

Acts 15:24 "Forasmuch as we have heard that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying ,Ye must be curcumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment."
Acts 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well."

Matthew 5:17-18 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till al be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kindom of heaven: but whosover shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in For I say unto you: That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

It is clear we are to obey way more than the law :-) but how does it then connect to acts?

forgive me for askin, I know the scriptures don't contradict themselves, so how are the two combined in one accord?
Thanks in advance for any response!

Sabine

Paul Cohen

Post by Paul Cohen »

Hi Sabine, and welcome to The Path of Truth Forum! We appreciated your introductory post from this past Wednesday - hearing about what the Lord has done for you. He is certainly working in your life.

Regarding your concern about posting to an older thread, It's perfectly fine to ask a question or comment anywhere on this forum, Lord willing. There's no expiry date on matters of truth and instruction in Christ. And you've asked a perfectly useful question, which being answered may help others besides yourself. No problem at all there, too.

The following excerpt is from the Diabolical Doctrine, All Flesh is Clean for Eating (let us know if it sufficiently answers your question):

What of the instructions James and the elders gave to the Gentiles to counter the influence of the “Judaizers” as recorded in Acts 15? Were they told that they shouldn’t eat pork or skunk? No. But consider that the passage clarifies their thinking:

“For Moses of old time has in every city them that preach him, being red in the synagogues every Sabbath day” (Acts 15:21).

In other words, they were saying, “These are the more urgent matters - do these for now until you grow and are able to handle more, and as you do, you’ll do well. The Law of Moses is available to you when you’re ready for more.”

Are we suggesting all the Law of Moses was to be kept? No. There are both ceremonial laws fulfilled and laws that continue as good counsel.

The Lord didn’t lay everything on me at once when I first began to walk with Him. I was so foreign to Him and His ways that if I had tried to change all my habits and customs at once, I would have imploded. It is impossible. It was very difficult for me to change diet habits; it was difficult forsaking my family, my church, my beliefs, and my friends; it was difficult ceasing to celebrate Christmas. The list goes on.

It took years to learn and change. This change is impossible and unnatural for anybody all at once, as it’s impossible for a newborn to be an adult overnight. But some things have precedence over others. It is a matter of priorities. We need to realize the Gentiles were alien to the things of God.

The nature of creation didn’t change by the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. Pigs didn’t suddenly become lambs. The Levitical priesthood, animal sacrifices, ceremonies, and ordinances of the Law of Moses ended, however, because the prophetic shadow laws (laws signifying things to come) were fulfilled in Christ. At the cross, God was finished with those particular symbolisms. Jesus Christ fulfilled their message and purpose forever.

Is it an absolute law not to eat the unclean? It is law, but absolute, or for everyone at all times, no. Many things aren’t absolute though we try to make them so.

God has often made exceptions to the rules. For instance, He commanded the children of Israel to enter and take the land of Canaan and dwell there, yet two and a half tribes were permitted to dwell outside Canaan. God commanded the Israelites not to murder, yet they were commanded to slay man, woman, and child of the Canaanites. Jews were not to marry women of the nations around them, yet by God’s will, Samson married a Philistine (Judges 14:1-4).

Why does God have His exceptions? To confound us for good, lest at any time we worship the Law rather than the Lawgiver.
[END]

The main thing the Lord was pointing out in Matthew 5:17-18 is that His commandments and ways are to be fulfilled in us, because HE is fulfilled in us and we become as He is. It's not a matter of keeping a bunch of rules and a form of godliness in our own power in order to be right with Him (which is impossible), but of being made right with Him by the repentance of faith and thereafter learning His ways, which means we need instruction along with our new heart to obey Him. So there's no contradiction between Acts 15 and these verses in Matthew. It's all one, on the same page.

Does this help? Let us know if you have unresolved or other questions.

Paul

Jorge Rodriguez

Post by Jorge Rodriguez »

Thank you Paul God.bless you

Sabine

Post by Sabine »

Thank you Paul for the welcoming words and for helping me understand acts 15:21, which now makes perfect sense and connects it all together.

I did read the link you provided about unclean meats and because of it had already decided to start putting it into practice. Actually the Lord had shown me a couple of weeks before to take another route with my diet so I started drinking fresh raw milk, a lot of it! and at the same time leaving all meat out, so talk about a clean start. The milk seems to be a real blessing, I'm seeing all over healing and building up happening, teeth densing up and gums regrowing all literally withing a month, wow. It is so satisfying too.

Thank you Paul, it is truely refreshing to get real teaching, very hard to come by! And thank you for reminding me that it is He who is working in me.

Sabine

Return to “The Sabbath”