Utter Confusion about the Sabbath, Feasts, and headcoverings.

You can view our complete section on the Sabbath here.
Erin

Utter Confusion about the Sabbath, Feasts, and headcoverings.

Post by Erin »

Hello,

I have been reading on your site and have found it very interesting. My husband, myself, and our three children came out if the worldly church and I fear we may have just jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Long story short, we first became aware of the proper Sabbath a few years ago, quickly followed by the revelation that Christmas and Easter were nothing more than "Christianized" pagan holidays. We have close friends who believe the same way and we began a Bible study with them. He was once a Methodist Minister who left because of these things. Unfortunately we were taught by them to celebrate the Jewish Feasts and observe Sabbath by lighting candles and baking Challah bread etc. Also, how to use Gods proper names....We are now seeing great error here! In top of that their daughters read a book written by Daniel Botkin's daughters and began covering their heads. This led to their mother and myself studying and praying to see if this was something we were to do.

For a time I did and still do when we meet for fellowship with them because I feel like I have to. They even gave me an article to read by Daniel Botkin on the subject. They highly esteem this man. We had never heard of him but we visited the Church in Peoria that he started and he was there. We did not get a good feeling from him or that church at all! Afterwards I looked him up and stumbled upon some of his artwork and was shocked! Some of it is truly revolting. I am so worried for our friends who have become very legalistic and very involved with him. I saw he was on your list of false teachers.

I am angry that we were so stupid as to be led astray yet again by wrong teachings! We are in confusion now about headcovering, proper observance of Sabbath, Biblical holidays etc. They reason that we are to imitate Christ and he celebrated the Jewish Feasts so we should too. It made perfect sense to us at first. It seems to us that they feel if Jews do it then it is ok. I can't shake the thought that Jews who aren't saved reject Christ and the Gospel so why in the world should we mimic Judaism at all? Can you please share your thoughts on women covering? I am really struggling with the teaching that I am required to wear a piece of cloth on my head to be accepted by God. For my prayers to be heard. For me to receive healing. I am 42 years old. I was saved without that cloth...filled with the Spirit without that cloth...why do I need it now? I also have other questions about some of Paul's teachings but his email is long enough! Thanks in advance for answering me. Also please excuse bad grammar and typos. I typed this on my tablet.

In Christ,
Erin

Paul Cohen

Re: Utter Confusion about the Sabbath, Feasts, and headcoverings.

Post by Paul Cohen »

Hi Erin, and welcome to The Path of Truth, the Lord's website.

Regarding head coverings, there are a couple pertinent experiences Victor's relates in wHaT tHe LoRd HaS dOnE wItH mE. I believe the following will help you with more than one aspect of your struggles:

Particle - Head Coverings for Women

The Lord guided us through many issues that are manifested in various systems of belief. Some believe in baptism by immersion, keeping the Sabbath, observing the “Lord's Supper,” foot washing; some emphasize doctrines like eternal security, and so forth.

Some, such as Hutterites, some Mennonites, and Pentecostals, believe in head coverings for women - some while in church meetings (gatherings) only, others in any public involvement. They do this in attempting to follow these Scriptures:

“So a man who prays or proclaims God's message in public worship with his head covered disgraces Christ. And any woman who prays or proclaims God's message in public worship with nothing on her head disgraces her husband; there is no difference between her and a woman whose head has been shaved. If the woman does not cover her head, she might as well cut her hair. And since it is a shameful thing for a woman to shave her head or cut her hair, she should cover her head” (1 Corinthians 11:4-6 GNB).

And: “Judge for yourselves whether it is proper for a woman to pray to God in public worship with nothing on her head” (1 Corinthians 11:13 GNB).

For a while, we believed Marilyn should wear a scarf, shawl, or hat when gathered with others, and she did so. Yet it didn't witness with us; we weren't free in it. Scriptures closely following the above have this to say:

“Why, nature itself teaches you that long hair on a man is a disgrace, but on a woman it is a thing of beauty. Her long hair has been given her to serve as a covering” (1 Corinthians 11:14-15 GNB).

We eventually came to the conclusion that the Lord ordained long hair for a symbolic covering for women, and therefore a hat or headscarf wasn't necessary for Marilyn. The longer hair acknowledges God's order and authority through the man. Of course, that acknowledgment can only come with the proper spirit through Christ, both in the man and the woman.

Yet the time would come that the Lord would humble me by prophetically ministering to me on another matter through a young maiden who - you guessed it - wore a head scarf for a spiritual covering at a public meeting.

As for the cutting of hair, while some women are convinced their hair should never be cut, we are granted to understand that it isn't the cutting, but cutting the hair too short, that is the issue. A benefit in the difference in hair length is that a casual onlooker can more easily tell the two sexes apart. A woman having hair too short isn't natural according to the apostle Paul, the Judeo-Christian culture, and God's original intention.

And here is the particle Victor refers to, where he was humbled:

Particle - A Covered Head Covers My Head

The Richardsons, who were Pentecostal evangelicals from Yorkton, Saskatchewan, held a meeting at the Orange Hall on Main Street in Dauphin, and we decided to go. They believed in the use of head coverings for women in church services, which the Lord had taught us was not what the apostle Paul was talking about to the Corinthians. As they had their meeting of prayer, song, and testimony, I sat there with a degree of cynicism, yet hoping that, somehow, the Lord might do something for me.

He did. One of the young ladies, perhaps in her late teens, wearing a headscarf, stood up to prophesy. She said, “There is a man here who has believed men rather than God. He has been confused and full of doubts, so much so that he suffers headaches.” It didn't take me long to realize I was the man. She asked that the man would stand and acknowledge the message, that it is for him from God. I was too proud to do so.

Meanwhile, a couple of others stood up, thinking they were the man. I knew they weren't, and the girl knew they weren't. She insisted there was another. Finally, I put up my hand. She was satisfied and ceased to ask further. She had no idea who I was or what was going on with me. I had the sense that she knew her message was for me before I put up my hand. Was that true, or was it my conscience speaking?

I felt badly that I had been cynical towards them and also too proud to confess I was that man. I knew the Lord had spoken to me. I hadn't realized that unbelief caused my turmoil and headaches. I was relieved to know that it wasn't where we were (in Dauphin), or what we were doing, that was unacceptable to God (He was indeed ruling and leading), but my lack of trust in Him.

From that day forward, I resolved not to believe what Mickey or my mother or anyone else had to say in criticism. I decided to believe the Lord. One of the things I determined to believe was that He spared us from joining Mount Zion Christian Center. This faith would soon lead to fruition, a revelation about Bill Kellers and Dave Roberts. [END OF SEGMENTS]

What you write about head coverings (I was saved without that cloth...filled with the Spirit without that cloth...why do I need it now?) reminds me of what Paul wrote to the Galatians: “Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, do you now perfect yourself in the flesh” (Galatians 3:3 MKJV).

Here are some writings that could help bring you clarity on a couple other issues where you've mentioned suffering confusion:

How the Lord Gave Us the Sabbath
Spiritually Keeping the Physical Sabbath
The True Day of Worship
What Does One Do on the Sabbath?
The Feast-Keeping that Is Sin

You write about your recent experience with Botkin:

I am angry that we were so stupid as to be led astray yet again by wrong teachings!

Was this stupidity, which term applied to believers indicates willful disobedience, or are you learning of the Lord as He oversees your spiritual journey that includes dividing the wheat from the chaff, internally and externally, bringing you from darkness to light?

Will you be sharing this with your husband? Is he also seeking light?

Paul Cohen
www.ThePathofTruth.com

Erin

Re: Utter Confusion about the Sabbath, Feasts, and headcoverings.

Post by Erin »

Paul,

I wanted to thank you for the reply. Yes I will be sharing this with my husband. We have decided to take a break from all "church" activities as we seek the will of God in all of these areas. I am going to dig in and read all that you put in this email and he will too. Thank you.

Two of the things you said really rang true with me. I was praying yesterday and had the realization that we were not ignorant, we were like a woman at the grocery store picking out fruit. We were to toss that bad fruit and keep the good. Many of the things God has shown us through this time have been very beneficial. Such as Sabbath and the truth about Christmas and Easter. So we are thankful for that and will discard the things that are not good fruit.

I also knew deep down that there was something not right about me covering. Even while I did it I felt wrong. I was instructed that it was my flesh rebelling against it, but now understand it was the Holy Spirit. Thank you again for the reply and taking the time to answer my questions.

In Christ,
Erin

Return to “The Sabbath”