Healthy food and Food combinations

Our complete paper can be found here.
Marina Carnat

Healthy food and Food combinations

Post by Marina Carnat »

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered that is very important not only to eat organic food but to correctly combine this food! You can find a lot of info on youtube, look for combination food chart, but try starting watching/understanding this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWfBwvi1KJU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think? Did you actually know about it and follow? Please, share your experiences and knowledge on this! Thanks!

Marilyn Hafichuk

Re: Healthy food and Food combinations

Post by Marilyn Hafichuk »

I’ve been through many food issues and diets. They can drive you crazy!

Dr. Mercola is one of the worst for obsessing over his physical well-being. I didn’t watch all of the video you shared Marina, but I saw that it was much like other things Mercola advocates.

Just last night I started reading The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz. It goes against the conventional teachings of the last sixty years of mostly fruits, vegetables and carbohydrates, with very little meat and no saturated fats, like butter and cheese. A conventional diet that didn’t work! People have been getting fatter and sicker eating these low-fat diets.

Organic is very important. But you don’t need to obsess over every little detail of what you’re eating. One of the examples brought up in the book is about the Inuit in Northern Canada who originally ate only meat, fish and fat and did NOT suffer from any of the diseases you see today. When Jonathan was a baby, I was concerned that he had a “balanced” diet, but in a book I red, the author said not to worry. A child will eat what they need if you have good food available. One day it may be just bananas and another day will be something else, but, by the end of the week he will have eaten a balanced diet.

My recommendation is to eat organic foods in their natural state as much as possible, avoiding processed junk, and don’t eat too much.

Victor Hafichuk

Post by Victor Hafichuk »

I put Mercola away some time ago, finding he was not to be trusted in many points of health, diet included and especially so. Common sense principles contradict him. And the reason so many are seduced by him is because common sense is no longer so common.

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

I understand what you are saying, and I had the same opinion, Marilyn: to eat organic and not to make abuses.

The thing is not about Mercola, it was about the rules which are suggested by the doctor he interviewed, and these rules are not his alone, many on google write about food combination.

The foundation lies on digestive system. It is not about what you eat but how your system is digesting the food you eat. It recommends to drink water before meals, not during eating or after, to drink milk alone, to eat protein with vegetables, to eat carbohydrates with vegetables, to eat fruits alone. The idea is that for protein there are released one kind of enzymes in order to digest and for carbohydrates there are released other kind of enzymes, and once these meet, they neutralize and do not digest or poorly digest and correspondingly there are little or no nutrients delivered into the blood...

It actually makes sense to me, once during my last pregnancy I had anemia and constipations and didn't understand why, because I was eating all the best food rich in iron and zinc, fibers etc. I guess I will have to test these rules on myself for a while and see if I feel any better...

Victor Hafichuk

Marina, those are certainly valid considerations, both for the foods consumed and the general state and needs of those consuming them.

Jeannie Van Popta

Post by Jeannie Van Popta »

Hi Marina,

I've heard of this way of eating and I think I tried it years ago, this was before eating organic. I don't remember any benefits but I was also over exercising, not sleeping well, restricting calories, etc. so my results wouldn't mean anything anyway.

I've had problems with digestion almost my whole life. It has slowly improved to a point where I would declare myself digestion problem free today.

I haven't looked into it too much but there are also many people who disagree with this food combining diet saying it makes no difference and some people say it's actually worse for your digestion.

I've never been healthier and I mix protein and carbs at almost every meal. Is it really possible no nutrients are making into my body? I don't think so.

This diet might help people with damaged digestion to recover but I don't think it's a long term solution. Some people can't handle eating certain vegetables, some people can't handle wheat, some people can't handle dairy. Does that mean these foods are bad? Of course not, these people need healing. On that healing path they may have to be careful about what they eat and when but it would be silly to assume everyone should eat the way they do because those certain people suddenly feel better.

I won't discourage you from trying it but would encourage you not to stick to any "diets" that make your life miserable. The planning that would have to go into this kind of diet would drive me nuts. Not being able to eat hamburgers? No eggs and toast? I'm out. :P

It makes me wonder where beans fit in? They have quite a bit of protein but are also carb rich.

Constipation is a common pregnancy complaint. The hormone shifts happening in your body can cause any number of discomforts. Unfortunately loading up on fiber and iron will only make constipation worse.

One thing I will recommend to anyone for general good health is to eat fermented foods. Fermented foods such as raw sauerkraut, kefir, and yogurt can help heal poor digestion. Have you tried sauerkraut, Marina?

Paul Cohen

Post by Paul Cohen »

A couple thoughts:

Tomato is a fruit and think how often we eat those with carbohydrates. Are you ready to give up pizza?!

Abraham served the Lord milk and meat together:

"And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat" (Genesis 18:8 KJV).

Jesus served up fish and bread, twice (Mark 6 and 8).

Who knows better than Him?

Paul

Katparker

Post by Katparker »

Greetings from Boulder City, NV,
As a person who has struggled with Crohn's disease, I have researched many diets. The book "Eat Right 4 Your Type" i.e. Blood type has helped me. What they did was isolate the lectins in food (lectins are carb binding protiens ) and applied them to all of the blood types and watched what happened. For instance blood type O can't tolerate wheat. It causes severe gastrointestinal inflammation. Type O people are prone to GI problems to include Crohns disease. Geez who knew? These lectins cross the blood brain barrier as well, and the glomming up of cells can take years, thus specific to our brain, we call this glomming up Alzheimer's /dementia, which usually hits later in life kinda like arthritis, etc. The book gives you the highly beneficial foods, neutral foods and foods to avoid all based on blood type. So, isn't it wonderful that we live in a day when science can take all of the food we eat , take the lectin out, apply it to all the blood types and see what happens. The doc also gives case studies. So, for me getting off of wheat, dairy and corn has helped. Not to mention the others I should not have. Not supposed to have coffee either, it's a hard one to give up. As a Nurse it's been a staple for many years. The history of blood types and the whole book was an eye opener! It's all about the lectins in the food and our blood type. Your average doc gets nearly nothing related to nutrition in medical school, and many are clueless or just refuse to open their narrow pharmaceutical based mind on the subject. Check it out for yourselves. Have a blessed day everyone. HIS love and mine, Kat from beautiful Boulder City, Nv.

Sara V Schmidt

Post by Sara V Schmidt »

Hi Kat,

Do you eat organic food? Getting off conventional wheat, dairy, and corn has helped many. Corn is genetically modified; dairy is often from cows kept in inhumane, unsanitary conditions, pumped with hormones, and fed chemical- and GMO-laden foods. Conventional wheat is grown and treated with chemicals that wreak havoc with people’s digestive systems. The leavening process with instant yeast is hard on digestion, as well. We eat sourdough bread using organic wheat (and some heritage varieties), which is as day and night compared to most of what passes for bread these days, including what’s labeled as “natural.”

Getting back to basics, staying away from conventional, highly-processed foods can do the most good for people and planet.

Sara

Jon H Kail

Post by Jon H Kail »

Yes Paul, I believe Avacado is a fruit also :)

I've used/tried both of these diets extensively.. have both books sitting on my desk here. Fit for Life is the "food combining" and Eat right for your Blood Type.

There is a lot that could be said for each program..

I think from experience they both work quite well but similar to many diets and programs out there, the negatives or drawbacks can come into play. Mainly obsession and paranoia. I think there is some confusion with each as well.

Being discipline and dedicating oneself to most things can get results but what kind of results and are they sustainable? Practical? I think more importantly, like Sara mentioned it comes down to what you're not eating. Obviously healthy foods are good but just as important is how they're grown, sourced or raised and brought to the plate.

Glad to read the comments!

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

Jeannie Van Popta wrote:
It makes me wonder where beans fit in? They have quite a bit of protein, but are also carb rich.
I agree with you, Jeannie! This kind of diet on one hand makes sense, on the other hand is weird because many products have protein and amidin too and then I wonder how the enzymes mix? They say beans should be combined with vegetables (best are greens).
Jeannie Van Popta wrote:
One thing I will recommend to anyone for general good health is to eat fermented foods. Fermented foods such as raw sauerkraut, kefir, and yogurt can help heal poor digestion. Have you tried sauerkraut, Marina?
Yes, Jeannie, I eat it every single day, I make kefir at home, I make bread at home, yogurt (in Moldova is easy to find good and organic milk or food in general at bazaars). But this still doesn't help as if I wanted.
Paul Cohen wrote:
Tomato is a fruit and think how often we eat those with carbohydrates. Are you ready to give up pizza?!
Yes, some say tomato is a fruit, others that is a vegetable. I also knew tomato is a fruit, but learned later from Americans that it is also considered a fruit :) So according to this diet, tomato is a vegetable and can be combined with protein or starches.
Paul Cohen wrote:
Abraham served the Lord milk and meat together:

"And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat" (Genesis 18:8 KJV).

Jesus served up fish and bread, twice (Mark 6 and 8).

Who knows better than Him?

Paul
This is great! Indeed, who knows better than Him? I was looking for such verse.
Katparker wrote:What they did was isolate the lectins in food (lectins are carb binding protiens) and applied them to all of the blood types and watched what happened.
It makes sense in that every person is individual. But even those who have the same blood type, does it mean they will tolerate the food these nutritionists recommend? I don't think so...
Last edited by Marina Carnat on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

Jon H Kail wrote: Being discipline and dedicating oneself to most things can get results but what kind of results and are they sustainable? Practical? I think more importantly, like Sara mentioned it comes down to what you're not eating. Obviously healthy foods are good but just as important is how they're grown, sourced or raised and brought to the plate.
Thank you, Jon, for sharing your experience! Of course, such diets have a lot of truth in there, same as errors. Only God can satisfy our needs.

Iris Schneider

Post by Iris Schneider »

Marina
I think food combining is done by every nation and differs from north to south.Some areas are known by the special food dishes they serve commonly.
we eat something different at breakfast lunch and dinner.
When I grew up my father made a point to sit down while eating and drink only before or after the meal to not overly dilute it and interfere with the stomachs work. Also we were not allowed to talk during mealtime and when - only what was necessary. that was a hasslefree mealtime without any quarrel allowed.
We had to eat what was on the table even if it was not the favorit dish.
We knew that apples regulate digestion as do bananas.
I remember we ate plums direct from the tree and were warned not to drink milk afterwards (to avoid diarrhoe ).
We never were forced to eat.
This was all common sense .
I tried to imply all these principles with my own family. We had no major digestion issues.
With all the focus on food intake Jesus was more concerned with what comes out of the mouth, well knowing that the intake will be taken care of by the system. Do we ever realize how much Jesus walked from town to town, up and down?

Lynda Christopher Webb

Post by Lynda Christopher Webb »

Thank you for very informative reply to the topic on food! lynda sue

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

Iris, I agree with you!

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

I was thinking: what about soups? they are made of water... (in Eastern Europe's culture it is compulsory to eat soups at daily lunches)

Paul Cohen

Post by Paul Cohen »

Soup is good, Marina, and I'm guessing that the manner of preparation makes it very digestible, if cooked properly.

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

I just found these interesting comparisons...http://erinjanus.com/foods-that-look-li ... -good-for/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dena M Dahl

Post by Dena M Dahl »

Hi Marina,

I wanted to weigh in about diets in general and not so much about food combining in particular.

While there may be things we can learn through diets (although not always) I think the overlooked and more important aspect is how a diet can affect us spiritually, not physically. There is a slippery slope, easily taken, than we can follow without being aware we are so doing.

Once you start learning and applying the principles of whatever diet you choose, questions arise.

“What about this food?”
“Can I eat this?”
“How can I make this food item okay for me?”
“I have to take how long to prepare this?”
“I thought potatoes were good for me, turns out they are bad.”
“My favourite food and the diet says I should avoid it. Oh well, I can certainly make the sacrifice."
“I’m invited to dinner at my sisters. How can I eat the meal without causing problems for myself?”
“I ate that for most of my life. I must have caused myself numerous health problems without knowing it.”
“Look at how those people combine their food. They are pretty stupid.”
“Look at how healthy I am, folks. You need to listen to me.”

Suddenly, something that seemed so good and sensible has become a big burden and we have become self-righteous idiots, thinking to be so knowledgeable. (Not saying any of the above is what is happening with you, Marina, just stating what can happen. I’ve been there and so have others at Harvest Haven.)

This can happen with any diet, good or bad principles. We’ve had it happen at HH with soaking and fermenting foods, for example.

While fermented foods can be very good for you, food prep can become a nightmare if you end up worshiping the knowledge you think to gain by dietary principles. So can eating it, even if you aren’t the one with the food idol. I’ve been there, too.

As an example, we stopped eating quick cut oats because they were “bad” and began with rolled oats that were soaked in water overnight. Then the soaking water needed something in it to neutralize the phytic acid, so lemon juice or whey was added to the soaking water. (I found it gagging, particularly with the lemon juice.)

Next, the amount of whey had to be increased to be the “proper” amount because we weren’t using enough. Then, the soaking water had to be a certain temperature because the water being used wasn’t warm enough. And so on.

I finally gave up eating the cooked cereals because I found them to be awful, both in taste, but moreso in the effect of those cooking the food in the kitchen.

There was no telling the cooks, either. More aptly, no consideration or listening from the cooks. We were all put under this tremendous burden of food and looked down upon if we didn’t agree with it.

Does the Lord put burdens like this on us with anything? No. Instead, He says,
“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:29-30 EMTV)

As far as food combining goes, I think there is a simple answer. The Lord both ate and gave to thousands, food that would be scoffed at as a food combination – bread and fish. If the Lord fed people in this manner, who are we to decide it is a bad idea?

Dena
Last edited by Dena M Dahl on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marina Carnat

Post by Marina Carnat »

Hi Dena, very good post! I totally agree with you!!

The second I forgot about this food combination was when Paul cited from the Bible about how the Lord and Abraham ate ...So this was pretty enough to deny the up mentioned ideas!

Michael Demerling

Post by Michael Demerling »

Hello everyone and Good Sabbath to you all,

Mike Vavases shared a pepper steak recipe with me recently that I used when Igor came to visit me at the Mississauga, Ontario outpost :) . Mike mentioned he really liked garlic and doubled up on garlic when he makes the recipe. I did the same as I like garlic too and believe it to have many health benefits.

I wanted to share this light-hearted and funny video from the Film Board of Canada. It might make you smile:

https://www.nfb.ca/film/canada_vignettes_onions_garlic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe some Jewish people made this short film, but wonder if they were also Ukrainian, based on their passion for onions and garlic??

Sincerely,
Michael

Victor Hafichuk

:D

I've known some people to complain that onions can come back up on them. Personally, I've always enjoyed them. They are their own reward.

Beryl Knipe

Post by Beryl Knipe »

Hi Michael and Victor,

Good Sabbath!

Thank you for sharing this. It reminded me of my childhood; we weren't financially well-off but my dad and uncle planted veggies. We used to have onion sandwiches - yes, plain, thinly sliced onion on bread. I enjoyed them then and I enjoy them now, along with garlic (not on sarmies, though).

Beryl.

Paul Cohen

Post by Paul Cohen »

Trish Gayton wrote:Dried peas, beans, and soybeans I combine with non-starchy and cultured vegetables. Fermented soy foods are advised.
ThePathofTruth is here to counsel in the revelation of God. We aren't expert in most fields of the earth, including diet and nutrition but when we are given to know things in these matters, we share them, Lord willing. We haven't been given to understand what you are speaking here, Trish. How are you relating it to the content of this thread, particularly the counsel of the Lord in the matter of diet?

Return to “Mundane Matters of Importance”