Alcohol use

Our complete paper can be found here.
John Breslin

Alcohol use

Post by John Breslin »

Hello all friends in Christ:

I am curious why alcohol use was not mentioned in the section on 'mundane matters of importance.' In my experience, alcohol can easily separate a person from a life abiding in Christ, even if not to the point of being a 'drunk.' Thoughts?

Paul Cohen

Re: Alcohol use

Post by Paul Cohen »

Hi, John - welcome to the Forum.

You ask about the use of alcohol not being mentioned in "Mundane Matters of Importance." This paper wasn't put together to warn against obviously harmful practices like smoking and excessive alcohol consumption, but to show people (particularly believers) where everyday practices that are okay in themselves aren't being done in a right or safe way.

You're certainly right that alcohol consumption can be a problem for believers.

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging, and whoever goes astray by it is not wise" (Proverbs 20:1 MKJV).

Here is a section of Victor's Theo-autobiography about an experience he had shortly after becoming a believer:

Particle – Alcohol

I put away alcohol altogether when receiving repentance toward God, more from the counsel of evangelicals (especially George Lynn) than from my own conviction. Yet it was good to do so, seeing I had such a pleasure in, and propensity for, drinking.

My father pressed me to have a sociable drink with him after my conversion. I wondered, “Why does he not press me to have a glass of water, a cup of tea or milk, or a soda? Why alcohol?”

Though he was not much of a drinker, he was offended that I would not drink with him. (It was the same with many others.) I wondered what power there was in alcohol that would provoke people to feel that way.

Perhaps that is why alcohol is called spirits. Alcohol is a symbol, or medium, if you will, of sociability in some circles. Eliminating alcohol, one is judged as antisocial, self-righteous, legalistic, or fanatical. Not only does this occur with new believers, it also occurs with alcoholics who have determined to kick the habit. They become despised and ostracized by their former drinking companions - no alcohol, no camaraderie. People take it personally. “As you do to alcohol, so you do to me.” It seems like it can be a religion in and of itself.

Particle – The Fruits of Excess Alcohol

My Uncle Ernie Hafichuk and I had a talk one evening at a wedding. We stood outside the hall, debating the use of alcohol. Uncle Ernie disagreed with my stance of abstinence and argued that it was not bad to occasionally have a sociable drink. I now think he was right, but I was also right for my time and circumstances.

Suddenly, out the front doors of the Ukrainian Catholic Hall tumbled my other Uncle Ernie (Mouck), drunk and raging after a spindly young fellow. Ernie Mouck was half again his size, more than twice his age, and viciously beating him until some came to break it up.

I felt that the Lord had just given my Uncle Ernie Hafichuk and me a confirmation of the validity of my stance. Uncle Ernie was speechless, and I rested my case. Tragically, Ernie Mouck would not be alone in the ravages of alcohol. His son, Butch, became an alcoholic barely, if not before, entering his teens.
[END]

Does this answer your question?

Paul

John Breslin

Post by John Breslin »

Thanks Paul. Yes! I actually read that part of Victor's story last night after asking my question. Funny how that happened. Thanks again. I am loving the webpage.

Paul Cohen

Post by Paul Cohen »

Good to hear, John!

Return to “Mundane Matters of Importance”