Insurance

Our complete paper can be found here.
Russell Dickman

Insurance

Post by Russell Dickman »

Hello Paul......on the matter of insurance. What is your belief.

Should one insure their property against fire, theft and natural calamity or should one trust in the Almighty, that He can protect His own.

It would seem to me that one should avail themselves of some protection provided by financial institutions. On the other hand I do see a strong case for depending on our Creator for protection instead of these financial institutions.

How do you see it?

Paul Cohen

Re: Insurance

Post by Paul Cohen »

From the Theo-Autobiography, Part 1, Page 21:

Particle – Is Insurance Necessary?

One of the first things I instinctively knew when becoming a believer in Christ was that there was no need for insurance, be it for life or house or anything else. I had purchased a whole life insurance policy when I was at the Bay, and I discovered it was not to my advantage - that it was, quite frankly, a rip-off. They’ve done their math.

Are insurance companies truly there for safety and wellbeing? To answer that question, let’s ask another: Would they be there if there was no profit in it for them? Of course they are there for their profit, and no small profit at that. They are professional money handlers, experts at making investments and turning profits. They’ve done their math. Those who serve mammon are not there to serve God or neighbor in the pure way of His Kingdom.

Having no other assets or income (the Southern Baptists not providing pay for “the great work” we did for them – like most, if not all, other churches), I cashed in my life insurance. Yes, I took a beating; that is how life insurance works – cash in prematurely and you lose most of what you have invested. They ensure themselves profitable use of the math.

I knew, however, that I had made a mistake purchasing insurance in the first place. I wanted out, needed out, and was glad to get out. I knew that if I walked with God, He would be my faithful Provider and Protector. He would prove to be that, and much more. He made math!

Particle – Christian Insurance Brokers

Christian life insurance brokers justify their occupation with words the apostle Paul wrote to his disciple, Timothy:

But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially his family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel” (1 Timothy 5:8).

They postulate, “What if you suddenly die? Who will take care of your wife and kids? Wouldn’t it be awful to leave them in such a financial crisis? You need to think of them; you need to think ahead.”

They go on to say, in so many words, “We think everything will go on as it does, but there are no guarantees in life. We need to make preparations and allowances for the unforeseen.”

No guarantees? Does this not apply to insurance companies as well? Just who do they think they are – God? Would I not be placing my trust in them by buying insurance, hoping they will still be there 50 years from now to pay up, if they were capable or willing?

Laws change, companies, governments, and countries change – the whole world changes all the time, especially in this day. So how is it I should have more confidence in men than in the One Who never changes and is ever faithful? The Scriptures on these matters are clear to me:

“Some rely on chariots and others on horses, but we will boast in the Name of the LORD our God. They will sink to their knees and fall, but we will rise and stand firm” (Psalms 20:7-8).

Provided we have an insurance policy?

“For You are He Who took Me out of the womb, causing Me to trust while on My mother’s breasts” (Psalms 22:9).

“I was cast on You from the womb; You are My God from My mother’s belly. Be not far from Me; for trouble is near, for there is none to help” (Psalms 22:10-11).

None to help? Not even an insurance agent?

“Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust and does not turn to the proud, or to those who turn aside to a lie” (Psalms 40:4).

Are not those who think to offer guarantees presumptuous? Is it not a lie to promise, not knowing the end of anything or even the beginning for that matter? What is the beginning? Is it not to profit, to take advantage of fear and insecurity? Are insurance policies an act of faith? Only if directed by God, and He has never directed me, or anyone else I know, in this way.

Here is what the Lord has assured me, without an insurance policy:

“I have been young, and am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, or his seed begging bread” (Psalms 37:25).

Were they secure because they all had insurance policies, or was it regardless? Must I have magnificent mammon managers magnanimously manipulating money for me? I don’t think so. As you will see, I will lapse into unbelief on this matter later, but recover.

Wes Grace

Post by Wes Grace »

How do you handle mandatory insurance? For instance the current mandatory health insurance law in the US or in my particular state, mandatory auto insurance. You can't register a vehicle or get a tag without insurance, which I can't stand. If you cancel the insurance or let it lapse, the insurance company contacts the state who then revokes the tag.

Victor Hafichuk

Post by Victor Hafichuk »

And He said to them, Therefore render to Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and to God the things which are God's. (Luke 20:25 MKJV)

Russell Dickman

Post by Russell Dickman »

Thank you for replying to this interesting subject.

Return to “Mundane Matters of Importance”