'Father' Andrew

Click here to read our paper and see the full list of marks.
Emmanuel Okpanachi

'Father' Andrew

Post by Emmanuel Okpanachi »

I'd like to share with you an email correspondence that I began with 'Father' Andrew - a pastor at one of the local churches.

Why do you give yourself this title of 'Father'? Why do you ignore Matthew 23:9, where it says this:

"And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven."

Furthermore, why are your reverends name as such? What are we revering about them? Isn't God the only One to be revered?
Dear Emmanuel,

Thank you for your email.

The original translation of that verse is actually “Rabbi”

Should you wish to meet and chat about the titles we use, I would be happy to meet you at the church and share a coffee together, but it would have to be after Easter I’m afraid

Andrew
It is Matthew 23:8 that is translated as 'Rabbi' or 'teacher'. Are you saying that Matthew 23:9 - to which I was referring - should also be translated as 'Rabbi'? That would mean that Jesus would have been superficially repeating himself.

There are many bible translations which render Matthew 23:9 as 'father'. Are you saying that those translations are wrong?

I wouldn't mind meeting, to have a discussion with you on your church's usage of titles; and other things, such as Easter.

I hope you don't mind if I bring some information to give you, for your perusal and consideration?

I'll await for you to inform me, in due course (after Easter), of an appropriate date and time to meet.
Dear Emmanuel,

I knew you would come back with that…and it begs all sorts of questions about how we interpret scripture into different situations from the one first intended.

Whilst I too don’t mind meeting up ..I would be interested to know of your own background, and whether you feel this would be a meeting where we would listen and learn from each other ..or if we would end up trading scriptural passages with each other..both thinking we were right and the other person was wrong.

Because I have done much of that sort of thing over the years and it just ends up being destructive.

All good wishes

Andrew
Andrew,

If we meet, it is not my intention to engage in a verbal tennis match with you, or to have a competitive debate. Being that we are civilised adults I think we should be able to have a rational, placid discussion.

I previously said I would like to offer you some information. That information can be read at the following links:

http://www.thepathoftruth.com/falsehood ... church.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thepathoftruth.com/falsehood ... easter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I then go on to tell him about my background, and how I was lead to the Church of God. In the final paragraph of the email I say the following statement:
The things that I've said to you may sound utterly absurd. You may think that I've been misled. But I tell you truly that it is you who are now at this time being misled and deceived by MYSTERY, the whore spoken of in Revelation 17:5. But it may now be the time that God is calling you out of her.
Dear Emmanuel,

Thank you for your email and for your honesty.

I wish you every blessing on your spiritual journey, but in the light of your final paragraph and your conclusion that I am misled and deceived before you have even met me or heard my story, leads me to respectfully decline to meet or continue this exchange.

Andrew

Victor Hafichuk

Re: 'Father' Andrew

Post by Victor Hafichuk »

It seems to me "Rabbi" Andrew is taking the high, paternalistic road here. Is not patronizing the nature and fruit of those titling themselves "Father"? As to the Greek words in question from the Greek manuscripts , here we are:

G3962
πατήρ
patēr
pat-ayr'
Apparently a primary word; a “father” (literally or figuratively, near or more remote): - father, parent.

G4461
ῥαββί
rhabbi
hrab-bee'
Of Hebrew origin [H7227] with pronominal suffix; my master, that is, Rabbi, as an official title of honor: - Master, Rabbi.

Two different words entirely. Andrew, you are not an honest man. Stop playing games with souls and destroying your own while you aggrandize yourself. It can't go well for a liar, especially one who vaunts himself at others' expense, and pontificates in spiritually loving and just fashion. You're a phony, Andrew, and if men can see through it, how much more God, Who made the seeing eye to see? You are a hypocrite.

You presume to teach us, calling us "sons" by calling yourself, "Father," while we call you "son" in truth because we speak to you the truth as equals should with one another, and as fathers should to sons.

The fruits tell the righteousness of a cause. While teaching you truth, we dare not by attitude or social station call ourselves "Father" or you, "son." You vaunt yourself by explicitly calling yourself "Father" and implicitly call us sons while teaching us falsehood. This is the fruit of false spiritual leaders who are appointed not by God but by men.

What Jesus was talking about was that we weren't to hold men in worshipful or reverential esteem, no matter what title they use or don't use. He was teaching that only God has that kind of honor and respect coming to Him. But by adopting your title, you hold yourself in God-forbidden esteem and call on us to honor you in like manner. Shame on you, Andrew.

I believe you go to the bathroom as we do. Neither has God appointed you as His holy servant.

Return to “The True Marks of a Cult”